Sunday, March 15, 2009

spring.

I recieved my exam grades last Friday and now I'm on Spring Break '09 until the 31st.

In the past couple of days, I haven't been thinking much, just living. I joined a Latin dance class at my gym. I finished a friendship bracelet. I window-shopped. I baked a cake. I slept 9 hours every night for the past 3 days. It's a nice change from my normal schedule of workeatsleep, repeat. I feel like life should be like this: calm, steady, and enjoyable.

I took my dog out for a walk today and realized what a relief spring brings: feeling the sun shine again, watching the grass turn a fresh shade of green, and shedding the heavy sweaters and boots. Knowing that summer is just around the corner. Spring is so wholesome.

As I go through high school, I realize more and more how focused I am on getting the grades and the extracurriculars to get into college while forsaking the time to actually enjoy my high school years. I see tourists on the streets of New York City, asking me for directions to a certain museum I realize I've never been to. I see old friends downtown strolling through streets with loads of shopping bags I rarely have the time to fill. I see groups of teenagers snapping pictures in the most random of places, outside stores and on the streets, capturing their experiences in one small compact camera. This upsets me as I am slowly realizing I lack substantial memories of such a great city, outside of school-related activities.

This summer is going to be a great one, filled with old friends and new ones, mindless shopping, dinners at random restaurants, trips to outer boroughs, late night karaoke, beach excursions, and buckets of sunshine soaking all corners of the city. I'm slowly realizing that I have to make the most of my childhood here in New York City, so that I can finally move on.

1 comment:

William Kwan said...

I hear you Melanie! Amen to that!

Hang with friends and hang until new friends become old friends, and oldies becomes goldies. Shop till you own the whole world. Eat to your heart's content. Travel until Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, and Manhattan become your backyard also. Sing until you lose your voice, then become a backup singer and hum along till you can't anymore. Visit beaches until you're recognized as beach litter. And soak in the sunlight until you finally glow in the dark. Most of all, live it out, we're only kids once!